Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Getting Antsy

Think about the last time you had a job interview. It goes well; you smile, leave, and begin to wait.

You wait a few hours, then evening comes and you figure, "Maybe tomorrow they'll call". Then you wake up, going about your day, but still in the back of your mind waiting. Finally, they call back. When you answer the phone and hear the person on the other end, for that first instant, you could care less if you got the job or not, you're just ecstatic the wait is over.

I feel this longing.

Saturday was the due date, or as many consider it, modern medicines best guess at what should be normal gestation. I've been thinking about the 'job' of being a parent for some time now, and even though the position requires 24 hour shifts for the rest of my life with a decrease in pay, I'm ready. I just hope it starts sooner than later.

Ants have shown up in our house during the last few days. As it gets hotter outside, they move indoors. They build condos in our walls and sub-floor. I even installed a pool (jar lid filled with water) for them, right next to the poison buffet. Their determination to eat, drink, and walk aimlessly around our house is a quality I envy. I look forward to summer vacation at the house with Emery, Sesame, and myself. Maybe without the ants.

So whatever scenario you choose, waiting for a call back for a job, from a date, or for a package to arrive, the intensity has never been this severe. At least I know I won't get a call saying, "I'm sorry sir, but the position has been filled".

2 comments:

emery_rose said...

I love this post. Especially the play on 'antsy' - maybe the ants have shown up because they can sense how antsy we feel...

Unknown said...

I hate ants!

But I think you will be excellent for the job of father.

June sure loves you.

Crossing my fingers for you both that you are holding your little one and staring in awe very soon.