Monday, May 5, 2008

Cinco de Meandering

Astounding as it may seem, I took the day off. It was a school holiday in actuality, so I don't mean I took the day off as in 'fake a sore throat and call in sick using my best Oscar the Grouch voice'. Usually my brain interprets a day off from my job as extra time to work on homework or projects around the house. But today was a break from all of that, even though I did complete a few task at home.

The morning was blissfully smooth. I dropped Emery off at work, then headed home to get started with my to-do list. Carry concrete from backyard to front. Done. Carry asobe bricks from front yard to back. Somewhat done. Then I realized, I hadn't even had breakfast.

After that, I lost interest in moving rocks back and forth, so I went shopping. I get lost in Home Depot, something about the space-time continuum is warped amidst those aisles. So instead I headed for the Ace hardware down the street. Upon entering I'm reminded that today is Cinco de Mayo by the cashier. Maybe I should be next door buying Corona? I had a mental list of items when I entered, but it's gone now. Maybe this aisle. Maybe the next. No, maybe the last one. Why am I here? Gloves, yes those were on the list. After the fifth employee asks me if I need help, I realize I've been here for over an hour.

Then I returned home and meandered around the house. What tasks can I do inside since the sun outside seems tortuous? I need to take the day off from working. Ah Ha! I'll play with bikes!

A few bites of lunch and bike tunings later, I'm bored. If I don't work on stuff, what do I do all alone here at home? I miss Emery. She calls. I'm so excited to pick her up. Once she's home we enjoy hanging out and being together. I guess only the morning was Cinco de Meandering, and this evening was a true day off.

Too bad I still have to work tomorrow. At least theres next weekend!

3 comments:

emery_rose said...

I wonder if we had more days off, if we might have a better idea of what to do with ourselves on those days...

Unknown said...

I think it is sweet how you miss her so.

Jed said...

WRITE!