Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Mad Dash

"What are my chances of passing?", she asks with the look of fear in her blue eye shadow. I stifle the urge to say something quirky or even laugh, "You'll do great". The standard reply to a middle schooler in despair.

Fact is, she and many of her peers will probably do fine, or great. However, there are a handful that might not pass the rigorous portfolio presentations today. I'm surrounded by the full spectrum of ninos. The air pushes down on the shoulders of us basement dwelling learners, and segments of various songs escape the headphones scattered about the room. Music helps them relax. That and the ridiculous jokes that spew from my mouth. Any laughter helps, whether directed at the punchlines or myself.

Myself, I feel the tension, but also excitement. Seeing what these young'ins are capable of brings a feeling of joy. A majority of society sees one of these kids on the sidewalk after school and thinks about what graffitti scribbling, drug smoking, up-to-no-good deeds will be done by the punks. But they're human, and sometimes more in tune with what's just and fair than many of the adults in their lives. That's what makes days like this worthwhile, even the kids that struggle today will have accomplished more than many of those adults driving by.

I guess they have to earn their summer vacations one way or another...

1 comment:

emery_rose said...

That's true that that kind of accomplishment seems a little more rare for us adults. Too bad for us.

I can just imagine how much your ridiculous jokes must help.