Sunday, May 11, 2008

Matt Foley is my friend

Planning, not my forte. I would rather wing it and look cool and spontaneous than put the effort into planning. This idea works well when first dating someone, traveling the globe, or channel surfing. However, I no longer do two of the three, and going to work is far from traveling the globe. So when I conjure up a last minute lesson plan for class, it shows.

I can see the confusion in my students' faces. I sense my heart palpatating with every word that struggles from my lips. Then, so as not to look like I'm unprepared, I tell the kids that I told them this last week but they must not have been listening. Hey, it works most of the time.

I thought about implementing the perpetual plan B for tomorrow as well, but then an apiration of a fat guy in a suit and glasses landed on my coffee table. Yes, it was none other than Matt Foley: Motivational Speaker Etrodinaire.

I'm not sure why, but the quick comedy sketch on SNL about an animated motivational speaker that even a crack addict couldn't look up to seems to do the trick. Maybe I feel that my apathy towards planning could lead to my students becoming the next generation of Foleys. Or worse, I'm halfway there! Either way, here's to my motivation and the other zaney Chris who died before his time.

1 comment:

emery_rose said...

I bet the lack of planning isn't always as obvious as you think. Sometimes it seems like you have the best success with the spontaneous ones.