Monday, May 19, 2008

Fortune Cookies Never Lie

Time is flying past like a family of spooked quail. Only a few days remain in the school year, friends are getting hitched, and vacations are a few short transits away. Last week I felt the pressure of all these tasks like a burden upon my shoulders. Today however, I'm encompassing all that finds itself upon the to-do list, because it can't be that bad.

Part of my recent paradigm shift comes from a fortune cookie. Yes, it can be that simple. However, it wasn't so much the fortune as it was the context in which the fortune was read.

Plagued by homework and projects around the house, last Thursday after school I was a mess. Despite my obvious apathy for the rest of the world, Emery wanted to hang out with me and not just some guy in the same room locked to a computer. So, as we occasionally do in times of desperation, we went out to eat. After deciding on Panda Express for all our quick but not as deceptively unhealthy food needs, I relaxed and took a break from the stresses of life. It worked, and by the time I had chowed down on some chow mein, my mental clarity was returning. Emery is such a great person to have in my life, and quite the dinning partner too. When we broke into our fortune cookies, I enjoyed how the words rolled off the tongue and into our laughter. "Saturday is a good day for completing chores", mine stated with a sense of sarcasm.

After that wonderful evening and learning how to laugh away some of the stress I'm facing, Emery and I enjoyed one of the most productive yet relaxing weekends together in quite a while. Amazing how your fortune cookies are usually right, but it's up to the reader to interpret it correctly.

2 comments:

emery_rose said...

I guess that was a good fortune. With your interpretive wisdom, however, I still have yet to figure out what my fortune meant - "An important life event is in your future" - any suggestions? ;)

Gina said...

oh heeeeeeeeeeey!