Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Gripe and Boast

I hate driving most of the time. I hate cars, period.

A radical change from the 17 year old Texan who grew up driving trucks into the river, but a logical one at that. I would attribute the change to a maturation and responsibility through time. Does this mean I'm no longer immature? Not at all. But I'm aware of the responsibility for myself and others when driving a car.

I recently heard that more people die in car accidents daily than the total number of deaths from lightning strikes, heart attack, plane crashes, elevator failures, cancer.....you get the idea, than any of that combined. Driving in Tucson, I find that easy to believe.

Even so, I love my car. Fritz the Fit. The small wonder that could has yet to fail me. Damn thing is new, so it best not fail me! I filled it with boxes of junk for school today. I got looks with all that stuff crammed inside, but I just smile back. And this weekend, a long drive to Flagstaff with no less than three people, a freeride bike, luggage, a tuxedo, more bike gear, and room to spare.

Bottom line, "cars are the Devil". On the other hand, triple digit weather and a desire to travel far quickly whilst hauling crap create a dilemma. My choice, Fritz.

1 comment:

emery_rose said...

We should have taken a picture of that tuxedo with the purple ruffles hanging in the little car next to a super hard core looking downhill bike. I think that photo would have just screamed "Chris"

I'm glad you love the car. I'm also very glad you drive more safely than when you were seventeen.