Saturday, June 14, 2008

Sinfully Cool

Waking up to water plants and go for walks seems like a great idea, as long as its before 7a.m. Any later and you're ready for a nice cool coffin six feet under. Then I realize that I'm just a pansy about the heat.

I watched this film today by Michael Franti, "I know I'm not alone". As he flows in and out of the camera's view, his aura of peacefulness mixed with fear permeate the barriers that surround him. Soldiers, children, Arabs, Jews, widows, musicians, and grandmothers alike are greeted by him with an acoustic guitar and a desire to experience their lives. His visits with the people in Iraq, Israel, and Palestine are both uplifting and heart paralyzingly painful. The power blacks out mid interview at one point in the film, just as my newly installed air conditioner kicks on.

I know I'm not alone in this either. Thousands of people in my community, along with millions more in this region of the world, are enjoying a sinful coolness thanks to the ol' A and C. Moments such as this are a kick to the teeth for me. Years of self discipline and reflection on my actions as a member of a global community, and 86 minutes of video later I feel like a miserable glutton.

I plan to continue my quest for equality in life, but it starts with moderation. So today I'll take a few bits of knowledge from that video:

1. I know I'm not alone, in neither my conservation nor my consumption of resources.
2. All it takes is respect and love to hear another's voice.
and lastly,
3. Start now. If I procrastinate til later, as I often do, it'll be too late for someone else.

Maybe I'll even get up early tomorrow and do all the things that need to happen before leaving town next weekend. Just maybe.

2 comments:

emery_rose said...

Good thoughts to live by. getting up early in the morning really is a good idea.
It does feel wierd and really wrong sometimes that we sit in the cool house while the temperature outside soars. Sometimes it doesn't feel like we have much contact with the world as it really is.

Jed said...

As one that has mistakenly walked at 3 in the afternoon, I tend to agree. I saw Franti's movie too - but I thought it was divisively one sided. Having a couple of friends who have returned from Iraq, I would have to say he only captured one half of the pain. There is a lot of suffering there, to be sure, but many people are still thankful. It's hard to believe - but he didn't talk to any of those people. He should stick to music is all I'm saying... because he's good at that.