Friday, June 20, 2008

Lies and Procrastination

For once in my life, I'm on task and on schedule. Too bad though, because now I feel that others in my life are way behind.

I've been working at this middle school for the last year, often times scrambling to prepare for a lesson, field trip, or grade and hand back papers. I'm fairly transparent, so students and co-workers alike can tell when I procrastinate. I go through the list of stress related actions: drink copious amounts of coffee, get snippy with childish behavior, and make ten or so more copies of handouts than what I truly need. I make it through the day by the hair on my chinny chin chin.

But now, students are off on summer vacation. I contracted to work for several hours on curriculum, planning, and even running Cat5 internet cable through the building to my classroom. I've worked more than the hours I contracted for, and I'm still having a hard time completing all my tasks. I shoulder some of the responsibility, but most of it can be heaved atop the procrastination pile. There is a deadline for all of this, June 30th. So why is it that I was given this option and all of these tasks a month before? And I'm just mad, because I will be blamed if it is not finished by then.

I'm just ranting now, so stop reading, please. My head is exploding now. Really, just stop reading and I'll be okay in a day or so.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds totally, completely awful and it is just like me too.

But picture this:

Honduras. Sunshine. Emery. Lusciousness everywhere. Good Food. And some kind of delicious alcohol.

I think you'll be alright! ;)

Gina said...

oh, big chris! oh crap! what a rag. you will get it as done as you can. if you need some solidarity in the world of fitful procrastination, please see my latest posting. i salute your efforts!