Sunday, June 29, 2008

The ferry must go on

More travelers arrive at our lighthouse. The ferry must've recently docked for the final time today. It's late afternoon and the sun is dancing in and out of the clouds, just as the wind dances through the trees and stilts below our hotel. Our hotel. Notice how I've already claimed ownership over not only our fabulous room, but the entire building. Our host, Thelma, has a kindness to her smile that allows one to drop their act, and listen intently to her advisory tales of island happenings. Some scare you, other get your heart pumping with excitement for the adventure that awaits. I just hope she doesn't tell Emery anything more about the ferry, or "floating shower curtain" as she refers to it.

The ride from La Ceiba to Utila was quite interesting. Emery wrote in her blog about how I felt it was better than any of the roller coasters or boat safaris in Disney World. But the horizon line dipping in and out of view through the curtain reminded me of being on Lake Meredith as a child on a windy day. My father is envious as I write this.

Though the water is choppy, and weather splotched with clouds, I feel that this is the island of paradise my dreams couldn't describe. They always contained the beaches and fish, but the realness of it all, the culture collision we contribute to, makes this a place of beauty words nor dreams can translate.

1 comment:

emery_rose said...

This is crazy. Chasing Sunsets is in my top five favorite blogs ever, and it seems to be stagnating. Please, come back dear blogger. You can't have caught the sunset just yet.